[time-nuts] Effect of EFC noise on phase noise

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Aug 2 00:08:53 UTC 2016

Hi

Ultimately the EFC signal gets to one or more varicap diodes. It likely goes
through a bias or attenuator network to get there. Playing with the resistors
in the network allows the manufacturer to produce parts with consistent EFC
properties.

The pinout of your standard OCXO and it’s single ground lies almost entirely
with the OEM customers who buy a lot of OCXO’s. To them a minimum number
of pins means a minimum amount of hassle. Given the choice between a multi
ground part and a single pin, the choice will alway go to the single pin. “We just hook them
all to the same point anyway … why the extra pins?”….. Presented wth an app note
and the explanation of why, the answer is still “we don’t have time to design that in”.

Yes it’s a scary world out there.

Bob