[time-nuts] Best choice for GPS active antenna voltage?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 5 18:17:32 UTC 2016

Hi

If you are doing your own antenna supply:

1) Make very sure it is current limited at some rational level (say 150 ma). A
resettable fuse may be fine for this.

2) Make sure you have some way to detect a short on the antenna.

3) Put in some sort of surge suppression. A microwave compatible TVS at the
antenna input is the best / first step. Some form of isolation to the main supply is a good second step.

4) At least rate everything so a 12V supply could be cobbled into the circuit. You never know when
you might get a good deal on a high voltage antenna.

5) Unless you are only running mag mount “car” antennas, you need +5 / +3.3 selectable
on the board.

6) If you have to do your own RF isolation / DC injection, design it as a bandpass (or at least
a high pass) filter. The more energy you eliminate below 400 MHz, the less your TVS gets
hit with in most cases.

Lots of fun..

Bob