[time-nuts] Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Aug 6 04:18:07 UTC 2016

On 8/5/2016 12:47 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Here's a new article, on IEEE's site (and this one's free):
>
> "Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review", by David B. Leeson
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7464875

It has always irked me that no credit was given to Edson's
pioneering 1953 book "Vacuum tube oscillators" in Leeson's papers
and I see that the omission continues in the latest paper.  You can see
from the following reference that Edson was the true pioneer in this
field:

http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics1983/A1983QV00800001.pdf

He actually had the basic idea in 1934.  He is the proverbial
"unsung hero".

Rick