[time-nuts] Safely getting the electrical length of a connected antenna feedline

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Aug 8 20:23:02 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for timing purposes, I think that what I want is the electrical length in nanoseconds, not the physical length.  I hadn't considered the fact that the distance between peaks would give me a halfwave.  But, that's a halfwave of what, exactly?  Is it the distance from the far end to the tee, or to the generator or to the measurement device (SA/scope/meter)?  And since nanoseconds are important, is it actually to some point within the measuring device?  Or, since it's only nanoseconds, maybe the last few inches inside the scope aren't that important?  It's starting to sound like what I really want to do the final measurement with is my old Voltohmyst with the RF probe at the tee if I really want to be accurate.  That would be using the 8640 and tuning for either null or peak, whichever is sharper.

As far as a TDR is concerned, I think that the 1PPS output from my GPSDO should be sufficient.  In this case, I think I'd send the 1PPS to a tee at the start input on my 5370 and lock start and stop together with the phase switches opposite for start and stop.  For this test, I could actually control the length of time the 1PPS is high so that it doesn't spoil the measurement.  But, once again, will I see any sort of spike on the other end with a 3.3V 1PPS pulse?