[time-nuts] Safely getting the electrical length of a connected antenna feedline

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Aug 8 20:52:07 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,
I believe I know the delay for the antenna and Ublox specifies the delay in the receiver.  I can't guess within 20ft of the physical length of the antenna.  But, this is time-nuts, so yeah I want to be able to work this out.  And besides...

I figured out how to output an accurate 1PPS with my unit.  So, it's no longer just a frequency standard.  Briefly: I take advantage of the fact that the sawtooth on the Ublox units is less 22ns wide (about +/- 10.5ns according to my data).  I send the 1PPS from the receiver through a 30ns delay line to trigger a d-flop in a 7474, which arms the other d-flop in the 7474.  The 30ns delay ensures that the 1PPS output of the Ublox, including the sawtooth, is always within the dead time between the pulses from the OCXO.  So, the next 10MHz pulse triggers the other d-flop which goes through a 125 gate to the 1PPS output.  1/16th of a second later (a convenient time for me), the PIC resets the two d-flops and so it goes.  So, yeah, that's 100ns late, but the Ublox has a userDelay field, which I set to 100ns.  That moves the PPS back to the proper time.  Yes, there is a delay of the 10MHz through the d-flop and the gate, but that's knowable.  And there's about a 5ns difference between the 1PPS output and the 10MHz output.  So, given that the delays are all knowable, I think it's usable as a timing unit now; given the limitations of a GPSDO for that purpose.

Any discussion about this method of getting a 1PPS should probably be in a new thread.  I'd be happy to link to a schematic if wanted.