[time-nuts] FDA1050 distribution amplifier

Ole Stender Nielsen olstni at mail.tele.dk
Wed Aug 10 22:24:29 UTC 2016

All,

I took a shot of the board inside the FDA1050 distribution amplifier: It
features a number of EL2002CN buffers, an AD811AN and an AD812AN, both
current feedback op-amps. There's also a MAX353CPE switch, plus a few
low-speed comparators (LM393N and LM339N), apparently taking part in the
level monitoring.

Note the unused SMB input connector on the left, which I would like to
put into use. The next step is to reverse engineer the board and jot
down a schematic to find out what to do. With only leaded components
that should not take too long...

Also, to my surprise there's a 10 MHz crystal and an adjustable coil,
though the amplifier is specified for a wide frequency range between 2
Hz and 15 MHz. I suspect the 10 MHz crystal and the coil take part in
the internal 10 MHz band-pass filter option mentioned in the data sheet
for the FDA1050, available from Brandywine. There's no bandpass filter
option enabled in my FD1050, but I will resist the temptation to fiddle
with the jumpers to see if the option can enabled. First, I have a
schematic to make...

Ole