[time-nuts] PRS10

Martyn Smith martyn at ptsyst.com
Thu Aug 11 10:15:49 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have a strange fault on a PRS10.  Wondered if anyone had seen it.

I am running a PRS10 and at the same time monitoring its FC (the frequency control value) and Status byte data values.

So normally, the Status shows are all zeros, except 2nd from last is a 1, showing the unit is not receiving any 1 pps signals.

What happens is the FC value suddenly jumps from its current setting (-150 for example) to zero, for no apparent reason.

Then a short while later, the Rubidium's status bytles go crazy, mostly to FF.

Then the rubidium goes back to the previous correct state (all zeros) but the FC value is now zero.

If you do connect a 1 pps, you get the same fault.

The confusing thing is I've suddenly seen this on 3 or 4 different rubidium's.  Some brand new, some five years old.

Obviously suspect the power supply, but it doesn't seem to be that.

Best Regards

Martyn