[time-nuts] State of the art of crystal oscillator measurements

John Miles john at miles.io
Thu Aug 11 23:57:22 UTC 2016

-177 = the -174 dBm/Hz SSB thermal noise floor at 25C, less 3 dB to account for the usual assumption that half of it is AM, half PM.

dBm/Hz is obviously equivalent to dBc/Hz for a 0 dBm carrier.

Anyone who claims to measure noise in a 1 Hz bandwidth below -177 dBm/Hz at room temperature is either doing something wrong somewhere, or doing something amazing somewhere.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC