[time-nuts] Working with SMT parts.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 03:36:59 UTC 2016

There is quite a lot to know about stereo microscopes

The first decision is if you want to buy a new Chinese microscope or a
much older used professional grade US made scope.   The Chinese units
used to be total junk but not any more, or at least some of them are
good.   But at the $50 price point I doubt you are into the better
Chinese brands.    That said, inspecting electrical parts does not
require a state of the art microscope.   It is an easy task     But
can't say much more until you get to talking about exact make and
model.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Bob Albert via time-nuts
<time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
> What are the important parameters regarding purchase of a stereo microscope?  I see some on ebay for around $50; are those good?
> Bob
>

>     On Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:00 AM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  I concur. I have been using ExpressPCB extensively over the last 2 years
> with great satisfaction now that it is possible to get Gerber files from
> them.
> I typically use the mini board pro service (3 bare boards, 2 sided with
> solder mask and silk screen) for prototypes and then buy the Gerbers to
> have production quantities done overseas.
> The boards are of high quality and the service is very fast at a very
> reasonable price.
> The only gotcha with regard to Gerber files is that you can only buy
> Gerbers for boards that you have actually bought from them, so the process
> is to buy the prototypes, then if you are happy with those, buy the Gerbers
> for that design.
>
> Didier KO4BB
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I've had good luck using any of the the ExpressPCB services that include
>> solder mask with surface mount parts where the pitch is 0.05" (half normal
>> DIP) and hand soldering (requires stereo microscope).
>> http://www.prc68.com/I/BTSG.shtml (battery top signal generator)
>> http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/ICS525v1o.jpg
>>
>> http://www.prc68.com/I/SMT.shtml <http://www.prc68.com/I/SMT.shtml>
>>
>> --