[time-nuts] Shera revisted

Paul Boven p.boven at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 12 11:56:40 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

On 2016-08-11 21:06:12, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Hoi Bert,

> I'm asking, because if you go the way of using a CPLD anyways, you could
> throw in another $2 for an opamp to build a time-to-amplitude converter
> (à la PICTIC II) and boost the resolutiong from 40ns to <100ps.
> As you would be measuring the PPS relative to the local clock, you
> would need only one "leg" of the PICTIC II (ie just one TAC plus a single ADC).

I'd want to use the programmable logic to build a (mostly) digital
interpolation, either something along the lines of the 5370, or digital
interpolation of the clock using DCM's like I did on a Spartan-3 years
ago. On that device, I could achieve a 16-fold resolution increase by
use of the clock management devices.

I'm currently trying to replicate my old digital clock interpolation
setup on the Xilinx/Digilent Arty board, with the aim of locking a Rb to
GPS.
Another goal is to get a DDMTD going on the Arty board for clock
comparisons.

Regards, Paul Boven.