[time-nuts] Working with SMT parts.

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Aug 12 15:45:29 UTC 2016

I have never used the Mantis, though I considered one when
my eyes started to degrade.

My big problem with the mantis is all of the light that is
projected on the viewing screen has to be reflected from the
device being viewed.  That means you are throwing a lot of
heat and lumens at the device, and even with that you cannot
work in a brightly lit room.... the projected screen will be
too dim.

Just about any CCD/CMOS camera meant for use as a CATV camera,
when equipped with a good quality macro zoom lens, would work
nicely for SMT work. A long working distance, is essential,
which means good lenses.  I think it would take very little
expense and effort to greatly exceed the abilities of the
Mantis.

I, on the other hand, continue to use an Olympus Stereo Zoom
microscope (model SZH), and a not so cheap Russian copy of
another Olympus Stereo Zoom scope.  And live with a tableau
of translucent worms that cover everything I view.

You get used to it...

-Chuck Harris