[time-nuts] Heathkit clock available

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Aug 13 02:41:49 UTC 2016

bill.iaxs at pobox.com said:
> Different regions can have different phase behavior. I have only seen West
> Coast plots on this list. When I did some work with this in Minnesota in the
> eighties, the phase variation was only about 6 seconds during a day and zero
> from day to day.

On the west coast, the "zero from day to day" part is optimistic.

I agree that they generally do a good job, but there are times when they
shift by more than 1 second per day, averaged over a month.

Here is an example:
  http://users.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/Calif-60Hz-2015-May.png

Zooming out:
  http://users.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/Calif-60Hz-2014-2015.pn

------

There is an interesting question.  If you keep time by counting cycles, how
do you get started?  I assume there is an official cycle counting clock deep
in a control center.  Is there a backup?  What do they do when the control
center loses power?  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.