[time-nuts] Holdover

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Aug 16 21:37:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:31:17 +0000 (UTC)
Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:

> So, that's one way, but probably not a desirable way.  My interest was in
> the option of using the OCXO to create the time, which clearly gives a
> better option when the receiver syncs back up to the sats.  Is there a
> published standard for this, or is this something that everyone (except the
> newbie) knows so well that it's not worth discussing?

No, there is no standard[1]. A system like this is always tailored to
the consumer of the PPS pulses and its requirements. Ie you need to
figure out what you want to do with those PPS, then figure out what
the desired behaviour during hold-over and recovery is and from that
you can design the frequency standard.

			Attila Kinali

[1] https://m.xkcd.com/927/

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.