[time-nuts] GPSDO - probably a stupid question.

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 01:02:24 UTC 2016

As a neophyte, I was wondering: rather that trying to discipline an external
oscillator to create a GPSDO and produce a precise 10 MHz why not
discipline the oscillator
of the GPS receiver itself?   This could be done with a varactor diode
across crystal of the
receiver's oscillator.   Of course there are the same problems with
trying to servo this
oscillator as there are trying to servo an external oscillator but there
are fewer parts.

Being a beginner I assume that I am missing something, but what?

Thanks,
Pete.