[time-nuts] GPSDO - probably a stupid question.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 15:32:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Peter Reilley <preilley_454 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> As a neophyte, I was wondering: rather that trying to discipline an
> external
> oscillator to create a GPSDO and produce a precise 10 MHz why not
> discipline the oscillator
> of the GPS receiver itself?

This is actually done.  But you need to design the GPS receiver from the
ground up to use a very high quality oscillator.   The Thunderbolt is an
example of this.  It has a 10MHz OCXO used as the internal clock.

I've seen the same thing done with NTP servers.  Rather then adjust the
system time using software, why not discipline the mother board's XO?   Yes
but it is a large amount of work to modify an existing product.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California