[time-nuts] Holdover

lincoln lincoln at ampmonkeys.com
Fri Aug 19 18:48:16 UTC 2016

Hello Bob,
	At work we make internet clock that are governed by a number of ITU and IEEE standards. As others have stated correctly, there is no standard. There are a number of behaviors that can be configured depending on application.

	1. Always a PPS out, TOD string carries a valid or "do not use" flag - default, actually used about 1/3 of the time
	2. Output only when clock is "synced" , That is  the error is small and the slope of the changes made is small, for at least 4 observational windows.
	3. Like number 2 but adds the notion of Holdover. That is when sync is broken, if you had been synced for "enough" time, keep output if you hold over counter has not expired.

Now what to do when your source is re-established..
	If the offset is large, or if the PPS has been squelched, or the reference source has changed, jam the 1pps, and steer from there.
	If the offset is small, ( some µs, ) steer the 1pps , with the max rate of steering set by how much we can screw up the frequency, default is 10 ppb

	Loop bandwidth is set by the source, PTP / IEEE 1588 sources bandwidth can be as narrow as  1~3 mHz , GNSS has much wider bandwidth,

	All of the clock class mappings, limits and thresholds are configurable at some level.

Link