[time-nuts] How to get PPS from ublox mini-PCI GPS to APU2 SoC serial port for ntpd

STR . strykar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:33:58 UTC 2016

> Most GBit NIC have hardware timestamping these days. Though I don't know if whether the APU NICs do.

I found 6 Intel 1G NICs that list PTP (IEEE 1588) in their specs - Intel 82574, 82576, 82580, I340, I350 and the I210 - https://communities.intel.com/community/wired/blog/2011/07/07/ieee-1588-update
Of those only 1 appears to do hardware timestamping for all Ethernet traffic(??) not just PTP - the Intel I340 - https://communities.intel.com/thread/87751

It appears the APU2 c4 model (which I have) has the Intel I210 NICs which do PTP, I'll check with Pascal/PC Engines if this is true.
As you and others have said the APU2+GPS via serial won't be a time-nuts standard time server, this isn't the time/clock source for adding a PTP switch to serve PTP NICs on the LAN. In time, perhaps :)

From http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/i210-ethernet-controller-datasheet.html
Advanced Features:
—  Audio-video bridging
• IEEE 1588/802.1AS precision time synchronization

Time-nuts standards require implementations and physics/electronics knowhow that are way beyond me, I'm happy to lurk, learn and implement what little I can.
The lack of older, now inexpensive frequency standards hardware availability locally here is another barrier besides their shipping weight.