[time-nuts] Best Chance GPS module

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 06:51:14 UTC 2016

First question:   How accurate does your local NTP server need to be?   If
the answer is "a few tens of milliseconds" then you don't need GPS.  All yu
need is a decent Internet connection.

Second.  NTP is a VERY light load and certainly does not need to run on a
dedicated computer.   Any mail server, web server or any computer that runs
24x7 can run NTP and you will not notice the extra load on the system.
And even in the case where you need GPS, one need just ONE computer.
 Almost any computer is powerful enough and you only need 100 Bit Ethernet,
gigabit is not better for timing.

About the GPS receiver.   Even the (within reason) worst GPS receiver with
a partial view of the sky and some multiparty will by ODERS of MAGNITUDE
more accurate then needed for running NTP.  The reason is that the BESTR
one can hope for with a near perfect NTP setup is a few micro seconds error
and even a quite poor GPS will do better than 100 nanoseconds.     I'd say
if yu can get the GPS to run at all it will be good enough for NTP.

One other thing:  Your GPS ABSOLUTELY MUST produce a one pulse per second
output.

If on the other hand your were trying to build a frequency standard or a
GPS controlled oscillator then you'd be worried about tons and tons of
details like you listed.   You literally just can't be good enough for
running a GPSDO.  But for NTP it is easy because even a run of the mill GPS
receiver is dramatically better than needed for NTP.

But take a serious look at your requirements.   I got into running NTP long
before therefore affordable GPS receivers.  In fact long before we all have
"always on" Internet connections and we all had dial-up phone modem.   So I
ran NTP over a phone modem and used that time standard to run an
astronomical telescope and was able to aim it at stars.   Many times your
requirements are not so hard and something simple works well.

Don't struggle getting the last nanosecond of accuracy out of a GPS when
NTP is only about to transfer millisecond level time over Ethernet.

On the other hand, if yu time stamping needs to be at the microsecond level
then the GPS must be physically connected to the computer doing the
stamping, yu can't transfer microseconds over an Ethernet and if you need
nanosecond level time stamps you can't get that in software

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California