[time-nuts] Best Chance GPS module

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Thu Dec 1 09:33:33 UTC 2016

On 30/11/2016 4:36 PM, Mark Sims wrote:
> ... V.KEL SIRF=III modules (I paid $15-$20 for three)...They don't do GLONASS.
I think I should have GLONASS, to maximize my chances.
> The NEO M8 is a decent device.  I've seen mine tracking over 24 sats.  The module that I have has a U.FL antenna connector with pads for adding an edge-launch SMA connector (I hate U.FL connectors).  I seem to remember that they can't track GPS, GLONASS, and BEIDOU at the same time.
I'm seeing them listed as "Concurrent reception of up to 3 GNSS (GPS,
Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)". I'm hoping that means multiple sats, but
limited to three types.
> I have gotten surprisingly good performance with a cheap GPS/GLONASS puck like:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201698154683?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Good to know.
With my limited view of the sky, I'd be angling it anyway, so perhaps it
wouldn't be bad with snow.

Thanks!