[time-nuts] Is there any Ubuntu/Linux Software for the Z3801A?

walter shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Thu Dec 1 18:07:57 UTC 2016

After re-working the lab I have my Z3801A in, I realized there's no windows
computers left anywhere near there.  Is there any monitoring software that will
run on my 16.04 Ubuntu Linux machines?  I have the Z3801A with an external
antenna, that drives a 10Mhz distribution amp for optional external references
around the lab. I don't have anything looking at it, however, so I am not sure
if that is actually correcting the GPSDO or I am seeing the raw oscillator,
which si pretty good by itself.  The other shop counters have externally
NIST-cal'd hp 10811A's in them, so they are pretty accurate anyway, but I am
curious to know the real story.

I also have a re-cycled rubidium module and ovenized oscillator cal'd to NIST in
tandem as another check source I put together this year.  I'm just looking for
external validation of those last few figures. I guess that is an occupational
problem of having too many sources and counters, one is never really totally
certain. kind of a local quantum cloud of measurement uncertainty.

I was able to get those surplus DeLorme GPS pucks running under Ubuntu, I ran
VMware to host an XP install, then tracked down the XP-only serial emulator
needed to read the USB puck interface, and ta-da, it works. Hideously
complicated way to see if they were good, but I was curious to know.  No VMware
in that lab, however, so looking for a native app to read the Z3801A

any useful Z3801A software suggestions appreciated,
all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2, President
Sphere Research Corporation
walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
WS2: We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you.
Love is all you need. (John Lennon)
But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)