[time-nuts] Switching regulator 12 > 4 V (3.3)

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:06:30 UTC 2016

I use the LM2574 for a lot of one-off applications the past decade or more.
For a 4V application you would start with LM2574-ADJ. It is available in
8-pin DIP, although the surface mount part is just as amenable to
dead-bugging, and does 0.5 amp no problem and runs perfectly cool. It does
not take (by modern standards) the smallest switching inductors and I
always do additional LC filtering at both input and output, so in terms of
"board space" this is quite a hog compared to more modern higher frequency
switchers.

Tim N3QE