[time-nuts] Totally unrelated, but..

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:41:28 UTC 2016

Remember that the internal Voltage reference in the original three terminal
regulator designs is a Zener.
(Zeners are also useful as RF white noise sources.)
The regulator is generally an amplifier with DC feedback.
If you look at the application notes on the early regulators, they require
capacitors to ground on both the input and outputs.
If these capacitors are missing, or too low in value, or not good
capacitors at RF frequencies, then the Zener noise is amplified by the
regulator amplifier and pushed out the output port.
I would experiment by putting a good ceramic 0.1uF cap to ground, right at
the regulator output port.

--- Graham

==