[time-nuts] Totally unrelated, but..

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 23:52:41 UTC 2016

I am pretty sure that I ran across this once as well with the
7800/LM340 series in the early 1980s with parts from a major
manufacturer like Motorola, National, or Texas Instruments; the
regulators ran hot and the output voltages were slightly low no matter
what decoupling arrangements were made at the input and output.  The
stability was poor as if the parts were oscillating but no oscillation
was apparent.

There is some discussion here about different designs for these
regulators although the photographs are broken:

http://www.righto.com/2014/09/reverse-engineering-counterfeit-7805.html