[time-nuts] Lady Heather Version 5 is now available

John Miles john at miles.io
Mon Dec 12 01:26:17 UTC 2016

> As said, if I put the .cfg file in the system32 directory I can set eg.
> the new time zone.
> Strange, if I enable eg. the esc esc command to shut off LH, it does the
> job well, but with the exception for the time zone setting, this and all
> the other commands once set are not anymore to be disabled ... ?
> I think this is in better hands with the experts.
>
> Unfortunately I am not at home so I am not in the position to run LH
> with my Thunderbolt, but one can start at least with the time display
> functions :-)
>
> Yes, I forgot to thank as well John for the great program, sorry John!

You're welcome -- I'm really just the Web host here, all the good stuff is Mark's. :)

It's true that there is a copy of heather.cfg in the installation directory, but it's only stored there to make the installation a complete copy of my development directory.  (In other words, if you have Inno Setup installed on your machine, you should be able to create your own distribution of LH by running the same batch file I do to create a release.)  This copy of heather.cfg is not read by the program under normal conditions.   For the most part you should only be working with the .cfg file in your Documents folder.

>From what I can see, it looks like the .cfg file will always be created in \users\<your user name>\documents as intended, and accessed there as well.  As things stand, Mark's current code appears to do the right thing even if you don't install to the Program Files subtree, as long as you launch it from the shortcut and not the command prompt.  So most users should be OK with the current behavior.

My main point is, if the program is doing anything at all in the \windows\system32 folder, something has gone very wrong somewhere.  I've never seen that before, and I'm afraid I don't have any ideas to offer.  It should certainly not be looking there for the .cfg file, unless you somehow managed to install the program itself there... and even then, it still shouldn't. :-P  We'll need to see if anyone else reports similar behavior.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC