[time-nuts] LH Z3801 and XP stalling

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 14:02:03 UTC 2016

On 12/15/16 7:08 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
> Sometimes, when one is doing a long run that goes past the
> usual power save times, the USB port will shut itself off.
>
> I believe that most motherboards have a setting in the BIOS
> that controls the ability of the BIOS to power the USB port
> down during quiet times.

More likely the OS configures the USB hardware.  On Win 7 (but probably
also anything from WinXP on, if not before) there's a whole bunch of
command line tools (or you can use Device Manager) to deal with the
incredible complex power state behavior of USB devices, and more
particularly hubs.

devcon is the command line tool here
  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

More info at: