[time-nuts] FPGA based TDC (was: Time nuts, off line questions.)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 17 15:48:35 UTC 2016

Hi
> [...]
> in [2] two ways how to achieve that:
>
> * at line 74 there are the "preserve" attributes, telling the
>  synthesiser that those signals are to be kept, no matter what.
>
> * at line 95 the carry adder chain is instanciated explicitly
>  as a low level primitive.
>
> The latter is there so I really get the adder chain I was looking
> for (also telling the synthesizer that those should stick around).
> The former prevents any derived signals from being optimized away
> because they look "constant".
>
> To get good performance (ie uniform and small bin size) one needs to
> hand place (or at least restrict the placement) of the adder chain.
> This is done using the synthesizer directly (ie there are no VHDL
> directives for that)
>
> Depending on the software you are using, you might also need to
> tell the timing analysis to ignore all signals involved in the
> delay line up to the capture register.
>
>> As I understand, the GP2x chips have a true ring oscillator, and it's
>> period PLL'd to the main crystal. I'm not completely sure how control of
>> the period of the ring oscillator is achieved, but I believe it's by
>> drive voltage, and/or varactor diode type components in the ring.
>
> There is no direct control. The ring defines the oscillation frequency
> by its length. Yes, all changes in temperature and voltage affect the
> delay line and thus the TDC.
>
> The CERN TDC Core user guide[3] explains how an additional ring oscillator
> is used to compensate for the change in delay of the delay line at runtime.
>
>> In any case, if you are able to achieve the same results with an Altera
>> device, I'd be interested in learning how that's done.
>
> Our code works with a Cyclone4 (EP4CE22 to be exact). I'm pretty sure
> it should work the same on a Cyclone5. For the other families you would
> probably need to modify the delay line and the ring oscillator.
>
> BTW: In case I was not clear enough, the 22ps I mentined are the "minimum"
> bin size of the delay line. Most of the bins have a size of 22ps and 44ps.
> There are several with 0ps size and with ~100ps size. The control logic of
> the TDC Core does an automatic calibration step at startup to measure the
> bin sizes and compensate them. The final resolution is bounded by the maximum
> bin size encountered, but most of the range will have a better resolution.
> We did not measure the performance of the TDC itself (lack of equipment and
> the setup was more than just iffy), so I cannot give you any hard numbers on
> what can be achieved with a Cyclone4.
>
> Sébastian told me that for the original TDC design (based on a Spartan3 IIRC)
> they didn't employ any method for increasing the resolution by compensating
> for different bin sizes, as they got pretty close to the minimal bin size
> anyways. But for the Cyclone4 I guess using something like Wu's Wave Union[4]
> approach might be a good idea. Unfortunately, we didn't have the time to

If you do go to the Wave Union, it does work on Cyclone 5’s and Spartan 6’s. I suspect
it will work on the newer stuff as well. The big issue you run into is “decoding” the patterns
you get. The data is *not* a nice looking set of “all zeros before” and “all ones after” some
point. Figuring out which bin came first with a random calibration approach requires a
bit of a leap of faith (count the zeros / count the ones) to order them. Even with that you
still get bins that appear to be equivalent (same number of zeros), but have them in a
different order.

Bob