[time-nuts] Lady Heather for homebrew GPSDO

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:22:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have experimented with LH 5 just monitoring a GPS receiver and am very
impressed with the results.

As a next step, I would like to use LH to monitor a homebrew GPSDO, and I
think it would be easier to modify the GPSDO firmware to emulate an
existing device rather than customize LH to work with the logging data that
my system currently produces.

In addition to NMEA data from the GPS, my system can output the DAC and TIC
(phase error) values as well as the temperature, Since I control the
firmware, I can produce pretty much any data format as long as it is
clearly documented, but I would prefer a text-based rather than binary
protocol and not to have to reformat all the NMEA data.

Does this approach make sense, and if so which of the several standard
GPSDOs would it be best to emulate?

Thanks in advance for your insights

--

--Jim Harman