[time-nuts] Trimble UCCM survey results

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 20 19:54:10 UTC 2016

Hi

The simple answer is that you want to do the survey on the specific GPSDO you will be using.
You feed the results of that survey back into the GPSDO as it’s fixed location. There are a number
of subtle issues that can creep into the GPS module’s location estimate. Whatever the issues are,
they are also (hopefully) built into the survey data the GPS reports. This is also another reason to
run very long surveys (many days). That way you include as much of the weirdness into the survey
as you can.

Would it be better to have a perfect GPS that is always correct in all regards? Sure it would be. Since
these devices are done on a budget that is probably not going to happen. A GPS module that originally
sold for < $50 is not going to compete with a $4,000 survey receiver (which also may have anomalies).

Bob