[time-nuts] HP 115CR Clock Powerup / Documentation

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Dec 23 15:13:14 UTC 2016

They are fun little (ha, ha) clocks.  There really is no need
to ramp up power.  Go for broke, and turn it on.

The only issue you will find in these is a host of wet tantalum
caps that may, or may not be bad.  They are on terminal strips,
and are the caps in silver plated metal cans with teflon seals
on the large end.  The failure is sulfuric acid leaking out of
the lead on the teflon end.

The other failure issue is the ball bearings on the motor.  The
grease is all but certain to be hardened by now.  You might be
able to work some light motor oil between the shaft bushing and
the seal.

The motor will *not* start by itself.  You have to open the clock,
press a couple of buttons to start the dividers, and give the
knurled knob on the motor's shaft a spin.

Be careful when setting the odometer display, as it is quite
possible to lock it up.  I don't remember how that happens
anymore, but it can.

These clocks are not a lot of fun to live with.  They sing along
quite loudly at 1KHz.

-Chuck Harris