[time-nuts] [Summary] HP 115CR Clock Powerup / Documentation

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 24 16:03:20 UTC 2016

Hi

Modern tantalum caps get a bad rap. When you dig into the data, most of it relates to
the “bad old tantalums”. What you have in these devices *are* the “bad old tantalums”.
When they go, they can make both a massive mess and a real stink.

The idea of keeping things “as built” in vintage gear is never a bad thought. A lot of fine
old gear has been trashed by “improvements” (some done by me …) over the years.
In the case of wet slug tantalums (the proper name for these beasts), not
a real good idea. Replacing them with modern solid slug tantalum caps is a good idea.
They have some “interesting” features in timing circuits, so replacing tantalum with
tantalum is a good idea. Make sure you get the polarity right :)

Bob