[time-nuts] HP Z3801 RB fun

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 28 23:51:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

Well, that was the data I was able to find (and I referred to TvBs page
where I found it). If you have more accurate data, please share so we
can get the numbers right.

The Z3801A will do a least square estimate of frequency error and then
translate that into an initial DAC setting assuming it knows the EFC
sensitivity, and the loop will work out the rest from there (hopefully).
Getting EFC in the right neighborhood is probably wise for this reason.

Cheers,
Magnus

On 12/29/2016 12:32 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ummm ….. errrrr ….
>
> The 10811 that is used in the Z3801 has a *larger* electrical tuning range than the standard
> 10811 not a smaller one. It’s tuning range and the TBolt OCXO’s tuning range are
> very similar.
>
> Bob
>
>> On Dec 28, 2016, at 6:22 PM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> We just want to help you with that curiosity, it sounds like a fun little project. :)
>>
>> The FRS-C [1] has a range of +/- 1E-9 over 0-5V, so EFC sensitivity is 4E-10/V.
>>
>> The Z3801A has a range of 5.20E-10 [2] over -5V to +5V [3], so EFC sensitivity is 5.2E-11/V.
>>
>> So, it looks like you need to have a gain of 8 and raise the EFC 2.5 V.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Magnus
>>
>> [1] http://www.to-way.com/tf/frs.pdf
>>
>> [2] http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/z3801a-efc/
>>
>> [3] http://www.realhamradio.com/joe-geller.htm
>>
>> On 12/28/2016 11:42 PM, paul swed wrote:
>>> Magnus and Bob,
>>> Thank you for your response. As far as the original HO 10811 oscillator
>>> goes there is some well written details on it behavior and sensitivity. It
>>> was not the same as a standard 10811. A far smaller range as I recall. But
>>> the data is there.
>>> Its funny on the RB I have the EFC range from the spec sheet. It really
>>> tunes from 0-5V. But I find it interesting that the best alignment with
>>> other references is sub 1V. Its an old FRS C and I have others that may
>>> present a more centered range.
>>>
>>> I'll have to compare the detials that I have on the 10811 and FRS C. But I
>>> actually pulled out a 100:1 antenuator I was using on the Piezo crystal
>>> that indeed does lock.
>>>
>>> Goal in all of this is nothing special simply curiosity.
>>> Thanks again. When I have some real numbers to share I will.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul