[time-nuts] Agilent 53220A and TimeLab

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 3 14:01:47 UTC 2016

Ciao Luciano,

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 13:31:44 +0100
timeok at timeok.it wrote:

> Unfortunately it  is very difficult to measure the Allan deviation levels to
> E-14 and beyond.
> I have tried some solutions like Wavecrest and Dual mixer Time Interval but
> with poor results:

Do you think this is a general problem of comparing 10MHz standards
or just one of inadequate equipment?

> Honestly I do not see at present practical solutions and reliable low cost.

How about implementing DMTD using ADCs? You could do something similar
to what the TimePod does using a dual >40Msps ADC to sample both signals
and feed that into a PC for processing. E.g. an AD9248-65 is available for
40USD, add some 100-200USD for a suitable FPGA board. A small PCB to glue
the ADC and the FPGA board together, a little bit of software writing and
you are done ;-)

Of course, this would not have the short term stability (aka low noise floor)
of the TimePod, but beyond a second, it should give you good results. And
should be more than good enough to measure the ADEV of the devices we usually
deal with.

				Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.