[time-nuts] Glass Envelope Quartz Crystals

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 7 04:17:29 UTC 2016

This is a very interesting discussion. I have experimented with some audio frequency crystals in the 3-6 kHz range. I don't know what they came out of but it was probably some sort of FDM telephony or telegraphy equipment. They're in the form of vacuum mounted bars with 4 plated terminals in tall 7 pin or octal tube envelopes. When suitably driven they oscillate audibly like a bell ringing and as a result of the very high Q they even keep ringing for a few seconds after the power is turned off. Unfortunately I don't have access to a stroboscope. I'd like to do something useful with them on display, perhaps a clock for people with presbyacusis who wouldn't notice the sound :-)

Morris