[time-nuts] Glass Envelope Quartz Crystals

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 12:31:32 UTC 2016

I know that the tiny modern 32kc/32.768kc tuning fork crystals continue to
produce output for a second or so after power is shut off.

This leads to my guess that typical modern tuning fork crystals have a Q of
30,000 or so. I'm not sure any manufacturer actually publishes Q for their
tiny tuning fork crystals but maybe from ESR and other crystal motional
parameters I could come up with some other way to derive Q from a modern
tuning fork datasheet?

I wonder if I had a ultrasonic microphone if I could audibly pick up a
modern tiny tuning fork crystal. (My ears have never been good to 32kc even
when I was younger!)

I remember when I was younger, I liked listening to the high pitched hum of
my dad's tuning fork Accutron (360Hz).

Tim N3QE