[time-nuts] Glass Envelope Quartz Crystals

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Feb 7 13:12:14 UTC 2016

Hi

They are wonderful works of industrial art. Unfortunately, except for the strobe trick, there is not
a lot of use you can get out of them. A modern 32 KHz watch crystal is a much more accurate
thing to use for a clock or watch. About the only exception to that broad sweeping generalization
would be the GT cut 100 KHz plates (they are roughly square). You would need to find them in
a vacuum enclosure. That was rarely done due to their > 1” on a side sort of dimensions. They
might or might not beat the 32 KHz crystal on long term stability. They would beat it in terms of
temperature stability.

As you probably have guessed, the gear this sort of thing went into was pretty large. “row after
row of racks” is how it often is described when implemented in a “central hub” setting. The pick
off points down the line would not have been that crazy.

Bob