[time-nuts] update on Z3801A repairs

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sun Feb 7 17:37:39 UTC 2016

I had reported earlier that the power supply went south in my Z3801A (
and then the receiver) became a suspect as well

In the final analysis I am not sure which went first the Z3801 supply or
the external power supply I use to power the unit.Both have a clear
failures.But both were down creating a little confusion at first about
the problem

The external supply has an adjustable current limit setting which is now
nonadjustable at 150ma..have not dug into that one yet

Once I figured out that my external supply was bust I switched to
another supply I have here in the lab to find that the internal Z3801A
supply still had a problem. As I noted in an earlier post there is a
"pre processing" section  which I am told was really a over-voltage
protection section and the DC-DC converter section. The problem
fortunately is in the the voltage protection section and I have not
bothered to run it down.Instead I  have reverted for now to bypassing
the front end of the supply and am now feeding 36V directly into the
DC/DC converter an easy thing to do at the output of L1 with a simple
and convenient trace cut. SO not sure which supply took out which supply
but for now the unit is powered on another supply .with the overkil /
over-voltage circuit bypassed

A few days after I started things back up the receiver began to error
out. At first it would  error after 8 hours, then after an hour and now
it only lasts about 20 minutes. Again no obvious suspects on the
receiver board in terms of smoked caps etc. At that point another list
member who has a cache of Motorola Oncore boards that I knew well from
another list offered to send me a replacement Moto receiver, which
turned out to be plug and play compatible. the new-used receiver fixed
the problem in spades so we are back with a working Z3801A. I will cover
the receiver update from an Moto 6CH Oncore to a 8CH VP Oncore in a
separate post
--
Dave
Manuals at ArtekManuals.com