[time-nuts] OCXO Retrace

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Feb 10 22:17:03 UTC 2016

Bob wrote:

>I've noticed that a few of these OCXOs continue to retrace upwards
>in DAC movement, even after a number of days.  I haven't run any of
>them for more than a week, as I've built only a limited number of
>these units.  The normal situation is to retrace downward from the
>start, once initial warmup is over.

There are several factors that could conceivably affect this.  First,
some OCXOs have a positive EFC coefficient (higher EFC voltage
produces higher frequency), while others have a negative EFC
coefficient (higher EFC voltage produces lower frequency).  It all
depends on how the varactor is hooked up internally.  For example,
the internal Trimble OCXOs in Thunderbolts and HP 10811s have
opposite EFC polarities.

Of course, if you design a PLL that generates a more-negative EFC
voltage when the OCXO is high (i.e., it expects an OCXO with a
positive EFC coefficient), and then install an OCXO with a negative
EFC coefficient, the loop will be unstable and will eventually
saturate the EFC loop at one or the other of its limits with the
oscillator way off frequency and the loop unlocked.  If you didn't
wait long enough for the loop to reach a steady state, it is possible
that you have some OCXOs with positive EFC coefficients and some with
negative EFC coefficients.  [1]

If you are sure that all of the OCXOs have the same EFC polarity, you
need to distinguish two phenomena -- warmup, and retrace.  Obviously,
when an OCXO is cold it will be pretty far off frequency (typically,
parts in E6), and as it warms up it will approach its nominal
frequency.  Whether it is low or high when it is cold (and by how
much) depends primarily on the crystal cut (assuming that the oven
temperature is set to the crystal's turnover or minimum-tempco
temperature).  So, if you are talking about the time between power-on
and being fully warmed up, the direction and amount of drift is
probably mostly a function of the crystal cut.

Once the crystal is fully warm, it will be in the "retrace" regime --
essentially, accelerated aging to reach its new, stable
frequency.  This can be in either direction, without regard to
crystal cut.  Some crystals will settle very, very close to their
last stable frequency, others not so much (and the difference can be
either + or -).

[1]  One final point on OCXO EFC characteristics:  Each OCXO has an
EFC "gain," expressed in Hz/V, which is one of the factors in the
open loop gain of the PLL control loop.  If you install an OCXO with
higher EFC gain into a PLL that is compensated properly for an OCXO
with lower EFC gain, you are very likely to make the control loop
unstable (or, at least, conditionally stable), which could make the
DAC voltage do strange things.

Best regards,

Charles