[time-nuts] LIGO detects gravitational waves

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 13 22:46:43 UTC 2016

Hi

Ok so checking the math to make sure I’ve got it. They start with a path that is
(in effect) 1600 KM long. That’s 1.6x10^6 meters. They resolve something that is in
the 1x10^-23 range. That would be 1x10^-17 meters.

Wikipedia confirms that a proton is at 0.87x10^-15 meters. The resolution would be
right at 1/100th of a proton in that case.

The signal is at 1x10^-21 or so. That comes out to roughly one proton. Yes the numbers
are different if you look only at a single path. I’d suggest that’s not the signal they actually
used.

Ok so far?

Bob