[time-nuts] MTI 260-0624-D OCXO

Alex Pummer alex at pcscons.com
Thu Feb 18 04:29:30 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,
look for any kind of radio-receiver, which would receive around 5MHz the
old 60 meter broadcast ban, connect to power any kind of wire which
could serve as antenna turn it on and try to find WWW at 5MHz, after
that power up your 5MHz oscillator connect piece of wire to the 5 MHz
output and bring the other end close to the radio receiver's "antenna"
which you installed before. I you are lucky you will hear a beat from
the radio's speaker, now you could apply some tuning voltage to your
oscillator, and if you change that tuning voltage the beat will change
somewhat but no to much since that OXCO has  very narrow tuning range. I
t could also happen that you do not hear any beat frequency, but a
wabling [= very low frequency fluctuation] of the www, because your
oscillator's and the frequency of the  www are very close to each other,
frequency of beat is not audible. the frequency of the www will be not
exact since it's propagation path is not stabile. That is enough to see
of the OXCO is still "alive" and with a proper PLL it could be tuned to
the correct frequency
73
KJ6UHN
Alex