[time-nuts] Z3801A holdover

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Thu Feb 25 21:52:29 UTC 2016

Dave,

I haven't monitored the Z3801A in quite some time, but I do remember
that it used to track more satellites. For probably a year, the unit
would go into holdover often. Then a few months ago, it stayed in
holdover. Last night was the first time that I have looked at the
stats and information recently.

The antenna is a Symmetricom timing antenna. It used to sit on top of
my service monitor, but has recently been raised up several feet, in
the clear. I can't easily get it outside because I'm renting
(single-story frame house). When the Z3801A used to track more sats,
the antenna was in the old location.

I am using a 4-port Symmetricom GPS splitter. My Lucent 2-box GPSDO is
on one of the ports. I moved the Z3801A to another port, to make sure
that wasn't the problem.

What I will do tonight when I get home is to see how many sats the
Lucent is tracking.

Joe Gray
W5JG