[time-nuts] Serial-Ethernet

Brent Gordon time-nuts at adobe-labs.com
Thu Feb 25 22:19:30 UTC 2016

Joe,

I've had good luck with Systech Terminal Servers on eBay.  I've bought
five of them for use at home and work and none of them have had any
problems.  Two port ones are around $20 and four port ones are around
$50.  Some of them support RS-485.  Make sure they come with the power
supply. The supply is readily available, but why spend another $20? When
configuring, you have to set them up as "Reverse Telnet".  The only
issue we've had is if the controlling program crashes, the Systech
doesn't close the serial port.  This blocks any new connections.

At work, before we started buying the Systech boxes we bought VLinx
ESP211's from B&B Electronics.  Pricey, but they work well.  They also
support RS-485.

Brent