[time-nuts] GPS Outage..

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 27 18:51:27 UTC 2016

Tom,

On 02/27/2016 03:50 PM, Tom McDermott wrote:
> The reason many cell sites went to GPS for time and frequency
> synchronization is that in many cases
> it was either less expensive or only possible to backhaul the cell site
> traffic to the MTSO (Mobile Telephone
> Switching Office) via microwave radio rather than wireline copper or fiber
> carrier.
>
> That microwave backhaul did not always provide sufficiently precise phase
> and frequency reference
> needed at the cell site.

For most telecom purposes, the frequency transfer of microwave links
suffice. Newer links have some basic support for things like PTP.
I run time-transfer over many microwave links, which is a bit of a
challenge for all the wrong reasons, but it works.

It is only when you push the requirement below +/- 1 us that you start
to have issues.

Cheers,
Magnus