[time-nuts] Instrument BASIC

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Sun Feb 28 00:25:27 UTC 2016

Magnus,

There's an outside chance a buddy of mine may know what to do - I will
check with him but no promises unfortunately.

It could take a few days.

The lib on SourceForge is called NET-SNMP-TCL - Com21 who became TurboNet
(in a manner of speaking) used to use it a lot in addition to the labs I
had at
C-Cube Microsystems/LSI Logic (after the purchase).

I'd like to ask you how you are keeping those things calibrated but that's
even more off topic I suppose than the topic of this thread.

I will let you know what I find out.

Best Regards,
John W.
AJ6BC

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Magnus Danielson <
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> John,
>
> On 02/27/2016 11:01 PM, John C. Westmoreland, P.E. wrote:
>
>> Magnus,
>>
>> I used to be responsible for a couple of labs in the late 90's early
>> 2000's
>> where we had several of these.
>>
>> First - do you have this option installed:
>> Add Agilent Instrument BASIC 1C2  ?
>>

> Unfortunatly not. The trick question is if there is any chance of enable
> or install it.
>
> We automated the VSA's using GPIB and TCL.  I jumped through some hoops to
>> make the TCL library
>> publicly available on SourceForge - and it is still there.  TCL is a basic
>> like language for easy instrument
>> control and worth looking at if you want this to be as easy as possible.
>>

> I've worked with TCL and have tried to avoid it in this millennium.
> Could be interesting to look at never the less.
>
> I noticed there are some nifty GPIB to USB adapters available now.
>>
>> We ran 24/7 this way doing low noise analysis.
>>

> Indeed. That is one of many uses.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus
>

> Best Regards,
>> John W.
>> AJ6BC
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Magnus Danielson <
>> magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>> Fellow time-nuts,
>>>
>>> This is a little off the normal time-stuff, but I wonder if people just
>>> happens to have some suitable input to give.
>>>
>>> I have a couple of HP89410A/89441A and would like to see if it would be
>>> nice to see what could be done using the instrument BASIC. How would I be
>>> able to enable or install it?
>>>
>>> Now, don't even bother to write comments about how you can do better
>>> using
>>> software control from a PC with this and that tool, this is explicitly
>>> not
>>> part of the question.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Magnus