[time-nuts] Inside a CTS 1960017 OCXO

Daniel Watson watsondaniel3 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:25:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

Attached is a plot of the output frequency difference from 10MHz during
warm-up. I believe this indicates the crystal is SC cut.

The VREF and EFC pins on the unit do work. The VREF is 4.1V.

I probed around the board of the unit I cracked open and found a low
frequency oscillation. It seems to vary from 40 to 90 Hz depending on where
the unit is in the warm-up cycle, and what I'm doing to it. With the can
cut off, the unit draws almost 50% more power than normal trying to
maintain temperature, so it's possible this is offset from what has been
reported in normal units.

In the photos, you may have noticed two sets of large, unpopulated pads on
the board near the output. I experimented with putting 10uF capacitors
across those. That killed the output, but the low frequency oscillation
could still be detected further back in the circuit.

Dan