[time-nuts] WWVB format change in 2012

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Feb 28 22:55:39 UTC 2016

Hi

WWVB and WWV (like any radio uncorrected radio system) has fairly predictable shifts
associated with the day / night ionosphere. One *could* fix that issue with a table
based on station location. I do not know of any library of code that does that already.

The next “layer” of trouble comes from how the low cost receivers are implemented. The
common issue is local noise. The common solution is a narrowband crystal filter in front
of the receiver. The bandwidth of that filter (and to some extent it’s temperature dependance) place
a “best case” limit on performance in the 10’s to 100’s of ms range depending on the
exact details. There are higher performance receivers (but not a lot of them) that do get into
the single digit ms range. At that point the propagation issue mentioned above needs some
work.

Further complicating things is the distance factor. A user in Denver with ground wave “view”
of the transmitter will do *much* better than the numbers above. A user in Miami or Bangor ME
may be very lucky to get close to the numbers above on an intermittent basis.

For time transfer, you have “carrier phase ambiguity” due to the day night propagation shifts. Simply
put the time delay to the transmitter caused the received signal to vary by more than one cycle. That
makes it a less than ideal source of time. For precision use, a WWVB system often does a
carrier measure at a single time per day. The phase data is averaged over may days to make
a precision estimate. This works ok for a frequency based (think GPSDO) type system). For autonomous
timing it’s not a practical solution.

Bob