[time-nuts] Loran Europe Lessay seems to be back on air?

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 4 21:11:52 UTC 2016

If I remember correctly the GLA(Trinity Ho.) has a contact with Babcock who
run Anthorn which goes through to 2019 or 2020. The notice to mariners did
not mention Anthorn but it did request that nav. receivers be turned off. If
TH terminate that contact they will presumably have to pay Babcock anyway so
they may as well continue "playing". From the papers it would seem the North
Sea study has been completed.

I am just surprised that, naively, they did not get assurance from the
French that they would keep Lessay running, because the move to eLoran was
very much promoted by the French though they did not get a lot of support
from other European countries.

I remember being told by a senior member of the RIN that he thought it was a
"dead duck" and a waste of money.

Alan
G3NYK