[time-nuts] DMTD - analog multiplier vs. diode mixer ?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 5 20:07:17 UTC 2016

The noise of such Gilbert cell based analog multipliers far exceeds that of the traditional mixer.
Bruce

    On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 9:01 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

 My little HP5065 project is continually running into the jitter of
my HP5370B counter which is annoying me, so I'm looking int DMTD.

Everybody seems to be using traditional diode-mixers for DMTD,
and to be honest I fail to see the attraction.

Why wouldn't a analog multiplier like AD835 be better idea ?

What am I overlooking ?

--
Poul-Henning Kamp      | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG        | TCP/IP since RFC 956