[time-nuts] DMTD - analog multiplier vs. diode mixer ?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Jan 5 22:22:41 UTC 2016

Mini-circuits has packaged phase detectors plug-in, surface, and with
connectors for $20 TO $70. Diode bridges with transformers. They also have
cheap wideband amps. Bet a simple DDMTD could be built with these? I know...I
wish I did have the time at present.
Happy New Year!
Don

Magnus Danielson
> With some sine-to-square conversion as signal conditioning, not too hard
> these days, this could be a relatively straight forward approach.
> CERN already have digital clocks, so the DDMTD approach fits them well.
>
> For normal mixers you want to signal condition the signal prior to the
> mixers, and then signal-condition the beat notes too.
>
> For DDMTD you do the same, but you do the post mister conditioning in
> the digital domain.
>
> I have always assumed that signal-to-noise have been the main difference
> between the Gilbert cell multiplies vs. diode mixers.
>
> Cheer1s,
> Magnus
>
> On 01/05/2016 09:19 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>> You could also consider a DDMTD as useed in CERN's White rabbit
>> project.Apart from the sine to logic level conversion its all digital. With
>> care in the design the jitter should be sub picosecond.
>> Bruce
>>

>>      On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 9:01 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp
>> <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>>

>>   My little HP5065 project is continually running into the jitter of
>> my HP5370B counter which is annoying me, so I'm looking int DMTD.
>>
>> Everybody seems to be using traditional diode-mixers for DMTD,
>> and to be honest I fail to see the attraction.
>>
>> Why wouldn't a analog multiplier like AD835 be better idea ?
>>
>> What am I overlooking ?

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Lucky is he who has been able to understand the causes of things.
Virgil
-------------------------------
"Noli sinere nothos te opprimere"

Dr. Don Latham, AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC, 17850 Six Mile Road
Huson, MT, 59846
mailing address:  POBox 404
Frenchtown MT 59834-0404

VOX 406-626-4304