[time-nuts] New Member + Basic Questions

Rob Sherwood. rob at nc0b.com
Sun Jan 10 20:35:58 UTC 2016

Hi Nathan,

I have had all three types of house standards over time.  For decades I used Sulzer 2.5 and 5.0 MHz standards for my ham shack / lab. See link.

http://leapsecond.com/museum/sul25-1/

Of course there are much more modern and small units today, but it was a exciting to track them against WWVB back in the 1970s and 1980s.  You never wanted them to lose power, or it took weeks for them to settle down again.

Many of my HP pieces of test equipment have HP 10811 OCXO units in them.  They are very good, even if old, assuming the oven is working correctly.  I think any piece of HP equipment with a 10811 in it will also lock to an external standard.  This is good because it is really touchy to try to set a 10811 right on frequency. (I am assuming you are trying to set it within 1x10^-8 or better.)

In the mid to late 1990s I bought a NOS Efratom M-100 Rubidium. I wish I knew the date.  See link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREQUENCY-STANDARD-CALIBRATOR-RUBIDIUM-OSCILLATOR-EFRATOM-M-100-AS-IS-BIN-H9-04-/252224570043?hash=item3ab9c182bb:g:HR4AAOSw1XdUXjnS

It has been in operation 24/7 ever since then, and it has very good phase noise and has been within 1x10^-10 all these years.  Who knows why it has been so stable. It has been so good I purchased a Lucent / Efratom Rubidium for my other QTH / Lab. It also is within 10^-10, though I don't run it 24/7.  It takes about 5 minutes to warm up, though it is more stable after an hour if we are really picking nits.

I have a GPSDO at both locations to check on the accuracy of the Rubidium oscillators periodically.  The phase noise of the Rubidium oscillators and my Trak GPSDO are better than -130 dBc @ 1 kHz offset.  Assuming accuracy of around 1 part in 10^-10 is more than adequate for a house standard, you cannot go wrong with a good Rubidium.

Your first example of a GPSDO on eBay is available from RDR Electronics. You cannot go wrong with them. Skip is an expert on time and frequency equipment, and the company stands behind their sales.  They happen to be in Denver, and I have been to their store many times.  I know nothing about your second option, but those units are on eBay all the time. Considering the support you can get from RDR Electronics, I would go with that if you want a GPSDO. They have Rubidium oscillators, too.

An HP 8640A or B will not lock to a standard, as the basic oscillator is a cavity. The 8640B can stabilized to its counter, but keeping 8640s working, and not having cracked gears is a challenge. I never heard of an 8650. You might consider an 8657B for a generator. For a counter consider an HP 5335A.  If you need 11 digits, then an HP 5345A is good, but very large and complicated. (I have both.)

You will need a distribution amplifier for your house standard if you are going to run a lot of equipment off of it (say 6 or more). Otherwise a Mini-Circuits hybrid splitter will work.  (2 way, 3 way or 4 way) I use a 4-way splitter off the Lucent for two 8642A generators and two 3336C generators.  It just depends on the output level of the house standard and how much signal a given piece of equipment needs to lock. An 8657B will likely be good enough as to phase noise for general usage.  If you are trying to test state-of-the-art radios like I do, then there is no affordable used HP generator good enough except the HP 8642A.  Even the 8662A isn't low enough in phase noise to test the absolute top low-phase noise amateur transceivers on the market today. (Flex 6000, Apache ANAN 200, Elecraft K3S or KX3) Keeping 8662A or 8642A synthesizers working is not a piece of cake, so I would stay away from them unless you really need low phase noise generators.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby. I got my general in 1961, and it has been a wonderful experience.

73, Rob Sherwood, NC0B