[time-nuts] New Member + Basic Questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 17 14:49:22 UTC 2016

Hi

> On Jan 16, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Nathan Johnson <jdownj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Right now I'm mostly aligning IF stages of boat anchor rigs, not designing new
> stuff or trying to evaluate performance of newer rigs, so I think the 8660 will
> do the job until I can afford something better. I'm debating what to buy later,
> but it appears most of the older rigs with better specs and that are well-liked
> here start at $500(It "powers on") to $1000(Tested and calibrated) and can
> easily go as high as one wants to spend on newer gear. I'm sure I will wind up
> that far into the hobby... Just not yet! I appreciate all the information from
> the group, I'm learning a lot.
> Nathan KK4REY

Consider that what you have right now may be “good enough” for anything you
are likely to do with it. You only *need* to get a different gizmo when you have an
application that is beyond what you can deal with now. Yes, gear is cheaper if you
shop for a year for that “bargain”. You can also wind up with a shed full of gear (or
possibly three sheds …) going for each deal that comes along.

Bob